Friday, September 14, 2007

Where have I been?

It's been a long time since I've updated this. That's my problem: I start a lot of things and finish very few of them. You'd think that wouldn't be such a big deal, considering my J type personality, but there it is. I start and don't always finish. Maybe that could be my newest discipline. Finishing everything I start. That would mean several novels, a couple of concept albums, and journaling as a spiritual discipline. This is the life I live currently:

Disciplines: Solitude, reading, prayer, fasting.

Solitude, for those who spend a lot of time with me, may seem like a bit of a stretch, but that's what I've decided to call my time alone. The problem is, that I'm having trouble with a real disciplined solitude where I actually spend time without distraction just me and God. But there have been bright points along the way. I've found a lot of joy in just sitting and saying the Jesus Prayer or reading with a candle burning before an icon. In short, I'm trying to find a way through the haze and into the reality of time alone in the presence of God that can be productive in more ways than just my own personal entertainment.

Reading specifically Scripture. My fiancee and I have been reading the daily lections out of the BCP for the past week and a half. Sometimes, I read them twice, depending on the day of the week. MWF I meet for Morning Prayer with 2-3 other guys from school. More on that later. Reading Scripture is always good. Reading Scripture in correlation to other related readings is also really nice. I just finished reading The Secret Message of Jesus, by Brian McLaren and was really challenged by the idea that the Kingdom of God is here and now (as well as not yet) and we have a part to play as agents of that Kingdom here in this world. I'm going to try and communicate this to a group of middle to highschool students in a few weeks.

Prayer is always good. I like praying out of a book. I find that if I'm doing personal intercessions that are basically coming to me on the fly that I only pray for a few minutes or maybe only seconds. It's really powerful prayer--in my mind. I like praying with the BCP or other prayer books because I find that my attention is more focused. Any time you can sit and read and know that God is listening is positive.

Fasting through Ramadan as well as with my Fiancee on Thursdays. Fasting for spiritual breakthrough in the Muslim world during this Ramadan. I haven't actually decided what specifically I'm fasting on, but I'm thinking a couple minor adjustments in my time and the way I use it may count. I also find that fasting as a group excercise is really nice. Fasting with my fiancee is encouraging. Fasting without water is not a good idea for me. I tried. Failed.

No comments: