Thursday, June 14, 2007

Fire

Last night I had trouble getting to sleep. I haven't gone to bed without watching an episode of Scrubs or Family Guy or The Simpsons or Futurama in months. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, I understand that I'm fasting and that's a good thing and it's also a hard thing. I also believe that this should be something easier to give up and that it shouldn't rob me of my sleep. And yet it did. I was still awake well past 11 wondering why rest was so hard to come by. It occured to me that the difference was that I hadn't watched a mindless bit of popular puff programming, but it didn't occur to me to pray about it. I wonder if that's bad.

When I'm most hungry during a fast, I find that praying doesn't really take the hunger away, but it does take the pain away. Sometimes I wish it wouldn't. I want to know what it is to really hunger for something, and to yearn for it. I don't know if the hunger pains should be taken away. But I'm thankful that they are. And so there it is.

Work was good. Went by really fast. No problems with customers or bosses or anything like that, so that was cool. I had to make scones again. I dislike that. But without thinking about it I did it. It was weird, but I was really glad that there was nowhere in the back of my mind that fought against just doing it. I guess that's a good sign.

No comments: